.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Laid L'Kbir


9 hours straight of visiting neighbors, dozens of glasses of tea, more-handfuls-than-i-care-to-share of cookies, visions of shiny blades flashing in the streets and pools of blood everywhere in the aftermath of the mid-morn sheep slaughtering. Today is Laid Kbir, the biggest holiday on the Muslim calendar. They are celebrating Abraham's sacrifice of the sheep, and every family is required to purchase and slay their sheep. The girls hover about with faces covered, "eeww".. or at least, that's what I kept saying. Parent's buy their kids new clothes and gifts. It's like Christmas. Except, I don't recall the whole bloody sheep scene..


Si Mohammed snitching cookies..


Nawal's new kaftan

In between visits, I convinced my host family (the girls and mother) to take a ride on the ferris wheel and bumper cars. I don't believe you would find these particular pieces in law-suit-happy America, but we had fun screaming our heads off and I tried not to think about how easy it would be to tip ourselves upside down and or reach out and cut an arm off. It's fun being one of seven sisters. And I thought having three sisters was a lot!


My girlies (all except Nadia), home for the holidays:
Nawal, Ikram, Aunt Touria, Iman, Soumia, Nzha.

This year it just happened to fall on New Years. However, I'm a bit too tired to care about staying up until midnight.


Ikram and Nzha whirring through the air

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Eid and New Year :)

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home