.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Resource Base: the volunteer network

Just got back from a trip north: an extended weekend with friends, and then meeting and training a new stage of Small Business volunteers in Azrou, where I trained a year ago.

Funny to think that I am supposed to be the "experienced" volunteer at this point that the "newbies" look up to. On the other hand, looking back at the past year, all the successes and failures, language gained, advice for eager new volunteers, guess I have made some progress. But enough of that. It seems the few times I have (or feel like) posting a blog as of late, have evolved into retrospective self-congradulations. No good.

The new crew seems more strategically chosen: split between artisans and business minds. There are some interesting characters with impressive backgrounds, and I feel that I could learn a lot from sitting at their feet. Peace Corps is (or should be) an type information exchange where volunteers seek each other out as resources in a place where our resources are very limited.

For instance, in two weeks, I have work-related to leave to visit my friend Andrea in her site, and give her and her counterpart Excel lessons. A new guy named Frank, is well-versed in Excel and taught himself a great deal about statistics and databasing, and became a health economist for hospitals. He was a philosophy professor. Interesting where our personal quirks can lead us. I look forward to learning from him, even as I teach others the basics I know in the field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home