.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Friday, September 29, 2006

The Revolution has begun...

During one of my recent "interviews" : playing cards, asking questions about shipping, coaxing the gentleman to fill out the 26-question survey...another friend, who owns the cafe next door and I started talking about the lack of variety at any given cafe in this country. The menu will inevitably read: Berber omelette, Couscous, Tagine: Meat (beef, goat or sheep), Chicken, or Vegetable. Would you like a Coca Cola with that?

He casually mentioned that he didn't know what else to make. I sat bolt upright in my seat, eyes shining. "Would...you like to learn how to make something else?" "Like what?" "Hmm, I dunno, maybe an American salad or two to begin with?" We immediately set about making a shopping list, me dictating the recipes and ingredients. Next week I'm headed over to his cafe around 11am to make the first American salad Agdz has seen. Exciting times.

Ironically, yesterday, I was sitting with Nadia in her office. She was making a Ramadan menu for the 165 girls that eat there during the school year. The dinner menu read something like:

Monday: Tagine: Meat, onions, carrots, potatoes
Tuesday: Tagine: Chicken, onions, squash, potatoes
Wednesday: Tagine: Meat, onions, olives, potatoes
....

By Friday's she looked at me with a stunted glare..what else? Her eyes pleaded. I couldn't help but burst out laughing. "It's all the same!" I cried. "Everyday! Doesn't it get boring?" "If it's not tagine, then it's couscous," she exclaimed. "And if it's not tagine it's couscous," I finished for her. We doubled over in laughter, slapping hands. "Do you want to learn how to make something else?" I queired in a strange deja vu... "Yes! Let's make a program."

Tonight I head over to her house, 5pm, for the first of six meals we're going to prepare together. I'm starting out easy: Fluffy banana pancakes with fruit salad, yogurt/jelly sauce, and fried eggs (as they will not have eaten since 4am, it will have to be slightly substantial). Today begins the Revolution of Food in Agdz.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've read some exciting things over the past months from you, rachel, but this may be the most exciting yet!

perhaps it's just because i've become a cooking nut (read: pecan under a broiler), but how cool is it to see the world expand...the relationships expand...all through something as simple as food.

i can't wait to hear how this goes.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Meliss said...

Rach, pretty soon the Food Network is going to contact you to be their Rep in Morocco. It's at that time that I will join you there as your little Italian sidekick! :-)

8:45 PM  
Blogger Rachel Beach said...

I always need a little Italian side kick around! ;)

And PS. Nate, glad to hear your a fellow food enthusiast. Just made pancakes to break the fast at one house, and several salads at the cafe yesterday, which we gathered to feast on last night. Imagine, a yummy, leafy salad in Morocco...hmmm.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home