.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Saturday, December 16, 2006

War of the Bugs


After reveling in the pretty pink Oleandras and crimson Hyacinth flowers gracing my roof, I was horrified to find sticky yellow bumps covering blossom and bud: Aphids! My flower buds have ceased flowering due to the invasion. This would not do.



I researched online and realizing that many of the complex-named pesticides recommended were probably not available at my local Agdez drugery, I kept reading for other options. Manual removal. Not really an option unless I have half a week to devote: they're swarming at this point. Next option. Lady bugs. Right. I had yet to make acquaintence with one this side of the ocean. I let the issue rest for the time, unsure how to procede.

Yesterday Jessica and I were strolling along through farm plots in the palm oasis. "Oh look!" She exclaimed, "Lady bugs!" "Where?!" I pounced. Cherry red little ladies patted about the dirt and grasses. "Here's another one, oh and another. I've never seen one in Morocco." I explained my flowerbud crisis. We quickly set about collecting them with sticks and fingers, and stuffing them into my jacket pocket, along with grassblades to keep them happy. After a dozen or so began perusing their new surroundings, I called off the mission. Jess was so caught up in the excitement, that I had to physically encourage her to cease and desist.











This morning, I commissioned the Lady Bugs and sent them to their first mission. They are actively attacking the targeted enemy with only one or two desertions so far.

1 Comments:

Blogger Meliss said...

Well, we both know i would not have been the friend you wanted with you whilst collecting lady bugs. :) Ok, are those pictures from on-line or did you take them?

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home