.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Monday, August 20, 2007

Berber (Tashelheight) Weddings

Summer in Morocco brings many things, among them ...

- 100+ Temperatures (indoors and outdoors)

- The world shuts down between 10 A.M. and 3 P.M. (read: too hot to function)

- Fresh Figs

- Incessant evening drumming and chanting emanating from all corners: weddings

Usually I avoid wedding affairs as they usually equate shaking one's rear in a flurry of lace, ruffles, henna and mint tea until 5 A.M. Sometimes that can be exhausting.

But... I braved the streets one evening to pay a visit to a family whom I know well. The father had passed my house earlier in the day to inform me that the wedding would be going on from "3,4,5,6,7,8,9 P.M...." Usually it's advised to add 4+ hours to any time indicated; and most of the action gets going in the evenings. So, accordingly, I left my house at 8 P.M.

Approaching their home through dark alley ways, I grew worried. I heard no drumming, chanting or lights glowing around their residence. All was, in fact, eerily quiet. I approached the door. A young girl sat with several toddlers in a wide court-yard. Quite alone. "Have I missed the wedding!?" I queried. "No, no! It's upstairs!" She assured me. There was no noise, nor lights that I could see, as we wound up the stairs. She led me through dark mud hallways, and around to a backroom - a single bulb gleaming from inside. "The wedding is in there," she pointed. I cocked my head at hear, wrinkled my eyebrows in confusion and stepped in. A dolled-up bride, her mother and another lady sat on the Berber rugs, noiselessly pouring mint tea. They greeted me with weak smiles. The bride sat dabbing her coal-lined eye with a dirty rag, periodically.


"Oh we waited for you all day, Raja! M'barak said you would come, so we would make coffee. And drink it. And again he would say you were on your way. And we would make coffee. And drink it. Again and again. And you never came. Oh there were many people here today, a party!" My first urge was to prostrate myself on the ground in sordid compunction. It only occurred in my mind's eye. "I'm so sorry," I uttered, trying hastily to explain how I thought nothing would start until late at night. They seemed too exhausted to care.


All the relatives were gone. The groom came and sat on the bed with the bride. This, I had never seen before - a couple sitting together in such an intimate setting - on a bed! I wondered if - oddly as it seems considering this was probably night #2 of their marriage - if possibly they might want the audience to excuse themselves. The mothers sat contentedly, feeling no need to quit the room. So I sat a while, if nothing else, as penance for my tardiness. The room was lined with gifts of moo moos (all apparently bought at the same hanut, only in different bland colors); Takshitas and Jallabas; little pairs of shoes strung intermittently.

Finally I departed at the urging from another girl to meander to other weddings.



The next wedding was small, but rambunctious, with men, women, teenagers and children all dancing. Gyrating, as it were. The bride, groom and matriarchs sat sullenly on their lace couch at the edge of the ruckus. A video operator stood amongst us, filming. A television propped next to the bridal couch let us watch ourselves. So we stood, dancing, laughing, watching ourselves; being entertained by ourselves. Maybe the bride appreciated all eyes directed elsewhere. Funny how technology nudges itself into traditions. I discovered many girlfriends in the chaos, grabbed their hands and pranced about in circles with them. Little girls gazed wondering into my foreign eyes and grabbed at my hands. It suddenly occurred to me that I was thoroughly enjoying myself, and felt quite at home among them. This was a new sentiment. So we danced and danced.


Eventually I was dragged off to another Ahawash, where a hundred girls chanted in a circle. Samira and Fuzia sat beating massive stretched-leather drums at the center. "Raja, Raja!" rang out from many corners. I smiled and waived and hugged, pleasantly delighted to be amongst "my girlies" again. Most of our summer months have been spent hiding indoors from the sun or traveling. They chanted a melody about a certain "Raja" while, I stood laughing, clapping along, and helplessly blushing. Finally the attention moved to another girl and I melted in (as well as my white skin and blonde hair would allow) to the swaying circle.


At 11 P.M. I felt content with the evenings affairs, and decided to make an exit before my exhaustion crept into the perma-smile region.

Samira grabbed my hand and insisted I pass by her house on my way out. She has been begging me for months to visit. I think she instinctively felt that this was her only chance (at which, sensing, I felt like an ogre). She pushed open a wooden door, blue paint flaking off. Little tots, a sister and mother lay on the mud floor of the courtyard, somehow covered in blankets despite the 90-degree night air. She shook her sister: "I've been telling her about you for so long!" The girl shyly squinted up at me, mumbling a greeting in her torpid state. I laughingly chastised Samira for waking them and she hurried me off to unveil the latest gayly-colored carpet on their family's loom. I rubbed my hand over it, smiled and departed with a whispered lay luh saida! (goodnight)


A little Tashelheight "princess", pushed toward my camera by her proud mother.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so astonished for me that stranger helps me to discover my country day after day. Clear text and pretty pictures. Thanks.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

salam
being null in English I allows itself be sorry your humble
our dear friend dima gave me binds it of tone blog and that was the beautiful discovery.

I decree my with dimensions fltor of the ego and postor of nice comments.

I will be frank while saying the truth, I like IEN what you does.

I discover in one of the photographs one trés good negafa and if is to you ready A to give me its email, so that it organizes my marriage, not it is right to laugh:)

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel !
I ‘ve tried many time before to see your web blog by clicking on your name as you write comments on taamarbuutaa ‘s web blog but unsuccessfully! It was a pleasant surprise for me to see your last post on Maroc blogs., so I came to discover your writings. Indeed I just want to say that Morocco has been a land of many migrations among them there’s Tamazight one, Jewish and Arab. Those people who are black and speaking Tamazight are surly the Africans natives of Morocco that had adopted Tamazight language and traditions. We can notice some Arabic tribes that had done the same like the tribe called “Hahha” and also Tamazight tribe who had adopted Arab language and traditions like the great Tamazight tribe called “doukalla”. May I know your opinion regarding this phenomenon please! Is that a kind of integration? Is it necessary? Wouldn’t it be better for every one to keep his own identity? Is that a natural process?

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel.
I enjoyed reading this interesting article.
Moroccans have so many traditions, and they are really interesting.
It is a really beautiful tradition in Morocco to get married.
I have been only once in Moroccan wedding, and I was astonished. We celebrated 4 or 5 days. It is a really expensive to organize all of it. And the bride was like a queen. Her dress was so huge, and she hardly moved.But in general I really liked this tradition.

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home