.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Re-enchanted

Normally I just breeze through Marakesh on my way to everywhere else...

It is always streaming with tourists which proves annoying. I'd rather not be thrust into a throng of happy shoppers and site see-ers just to find a place to sleep for the night.


When I woke up Thursday morning and found the transportation strike still in effect I had no choice but to stay put. I decided I might as well enjoy it.








Another volunteer directed me to Le Café du Livre where I found a bit of British/American heaven: classic English book titles lined the shelves, goat cheese salads on the menu and Gipsy Kings playing in the background. I settled in and read for hours each day.


















Not having petit taxis at my disposal. I decided this was a great opportunity to actually explore the fabled Marrakech.





I roamed streets, strolled through beautifully refreshing parks, and dined on scrumptious lemon fruits du mer pastilla.



























La Menara, a park I've seen painted and photographed dozens of times was a bit disapointing. The grounds were unkempt, the water dirty, the backdrop to the dramatic structure at the end of the gazing pool was ... bleachers.

















Jma Alfna was calling. One of the most famous outdoor markets in the world.

I couldn't resist it's allure any longer.










Every evening throngs returned from wandering city streets to fill the massive square, standing about in circles listening to an orator or African Ganaoua music; pet monkeys, have hands tattooed with henna.



dining evenings at the bustling outdoor street-cart cafes that huddled in a mass in the center of the square...












men begging (or praying?) in the middle of it all ...

Shop keepers ready to serve you whatever your heart desires..

Shish kabobs?

Fresh orange juice?


Steaming snails.?





It's a gourmet dish. I got through most of my little bowl... and that was enough for me.






At night the lantern shops glow with a thousand colors swaying in the breezes.


Everywhere one looks there is color ... in great abundance.


And Moroccan mosaics, tiles, patterns guiding you up stairwells and leading you through archways ..












Henna ladies beg for your hand..


This is the enchantment that is Morocco ... sometimes in my lonely little Agdz I forget what a glorious place I live in ... and that's what I gained from a transportation strike.

9 Comments:

Blogger Najlae said...

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful post :)

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
You have such a wonderful way with words and photos! Your post brings me right back to each city or town or village - and helps me feel more connected to all in Morocco!
Miss ya, Love, Cheryl

9:02 PM  
Blogger Rachel Beach said...

thanks for your kind comments, Najlae and Cheryl!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Cat in Rabat ( كات في الرباط) said...

What is the building in your 1st photo (la Marrekchi) - is it a restaurant or a hotel?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Rachel Beach said...

I believe it's a restaurant. It's in the corner of Jma Alfna (on the right hand back "corner" of the square if you're approaching from Prince.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Jobove - Reus said...

irreverent e iconoclast

http://telamamaria.blogspot.com

Thank

9:40 AM  
Blogger Nate Heldman said...

rachel...i'm so jealous! i absolutely love to travel solo, pausing for hours, or keeping pace with pedestrian traffic. and i love to investigate the nooks and crannies of places so different from our own culture.

the plates in the pictures...hanging on the wall for sale...how could i arrange for you to send me some of those? i painted my kitchen in a mediterranean sort of style, and would love those to go in it.

i hope you're well...i see you're blessed. i will continue to pray for you and look forward to seeing you again someday here in the states...although i hope to come to africa in the late fall...maybe i can swing up then?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Nate Heldman said...

posting again...

i just got home from nicole and jonathan's wedding. they had friends and family from all over, including the brother who was up here the same weekend we met. forget his name right now, but he had been in india, i believe.

anyway, i'm sure you'd have loved the wedding. it was really great. i'll send you some pictures once i get some from any of the 5 million photographers present. that's something you just don't think about. when photographers get married and their friends all come...dang, gina. that's insanity. even the pastor was a photography buddy of jonathan's.

ok...cya. hope all is well with you. have a great sunday!

1:14 AM  
Blogger Anil P said...

Truly lovely post this.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home