.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Enabling generosity

As I look back over the past couple weeks of travel, I realized that much of my travels and work would not have been possible without the generosity of many. My parents, first of all, supplement the Peace Corps stipend, allowing me to pursue all sorts of activities that otherwise would be impossible. For instance, when traveling often, the Peace Corps salary usually only lasts through the first couple weeks each month. After that, my parents generosity supports work-related activities by helping fund stays in cheap hotels (i.e. $5-10/night) or buying out an extra seat in a taxi so my legs aren't cramped.

When I was with the U.S. Embassy crew, they offered to let me travel with them and covered all my meals in transit between Ouarzazate and Rabat. Then one of the ladies, Wafa offered to let me stay with her for the duration of my stay in Rabat. (Peace Corps policy would only have covered one night in the city for my health-related appointments.) She made me breakfasts, packed a bag lunch, and sometimes even drove me to different locations around the city. One evening, riding in a petit taxi back to Wafa's house, I had completely run out of money. I paid a partial fare and apologized a million times, telling him that was all the money I had. He smiled and said it was no problem..and then leaned out the door and said, "Wait lady, are you married?" When I returned to Wafa's, I realized I had not a dirham left to get to my morning appointment and somewhat embarressed, asked if I could borrow 10 Dirhams ($1) for a morning taxi. Wafa walked into my room that evening, laid 50 Dirhams on the table, quietly smiled and said.. "You don't have to repay it, dear." I could have kissed her.

In Sefrou, I visited/stayed with Rose, a new volunteer. I did not know her well, but she welcomed me into their dinner party and we had an excellent evening. In Ouarzazate I stayed with Pete and Elspeth, a wonderful Scottish/British couple I've befriended. Coffees and meals were paid for everywhere I went. In Fes, my phone stopped working and I took it to a Maroc Telecom office. They guy sent a fellow employee off in a taxi to find a technician who could work on it while I shopped. He returned forty minutes later, phone fixed, bill paid. All I had to do was thank him for his time.

All in all, I realized that the generosity of friends, family and strangers had saved (or paid) for what could have amounted to a steep bill worth of hotels, transportation and meals in expensive cities. The work I am doing is not possible without this generosity. Hence, I am very humbled and thankful for it. For those of you who may long to do some type of missions or development work, but feel that your calling is to function in a financially (or otherwise) supportive role, do not underestimate the importance of your work. You are an enabler. Your friendship and financial backing are a joy and encouragement to those you support.

2 Comments:

Blogger Najlae said...

but your work is certainly priceless for all these people. keep it up!
xox

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rachel Beach said...

Thanks!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home