.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Friday, February 09, 2007

Brain refresher

Peace Corps just delivered beautiful new Trek bikes to each of us. (The previous ones would literally fall apart mid-ride, so I haven't touched it for a year.) I've been sitting at my computer all day (much of the week) trying to make myself finish my report for the shipping service feasibility study (See Survey Update Note). I just could not write. I feared I did not have all the right answers; I doubted my recommendations. I would fiddle with Excel formulas, make more outlines, or find old friends on Facebook.com. Read more interviews over again. Find friends on Myspace.com. I just kept staring out the window at the sunlight twinkling on palm leaves, and almond blossoms oozing sweetness wishing I wasn't confined to my report.



Finally it occurred to me to take a break and try out the new bike. I grabbed keys, a water bottle and was out the door - with Sam Sam tailing behind me. The combination of a helmet/glasses and the speed of a bike offered a much-needed "social protection". (Often, if I need stress-relief, venturing outside is the last thing I would want to do, because that means a social conduct code, greeting every stranger, refuting "bonjours" with "salam!", etc. I have to don my "Morocco social face". It's not that relaxing.) The bike gave me a new sense of freedom and liberty.



I flew through emerald fields of sprouting wheat fields, palm branches and almond blossoms. The River Draa was full and rushing, the sunshine warm, the breezes cool. My mind slowly relaxed. The perfect cure to computer-screen-weariness.

A "typical" passerby on the trek. :) (Everyone's usually very friendly, he just happened to be angry because I took a picture of him.

(Survey update note: I'm making a push to compile my report solo, after meeting with a certain association last week who informed me that they purposely had not wanted to get involved in distributing the surveys, as they feared they would not be involved in the creation of the center. The frustrating thing: they informed me months ago they wanted to help me, so I gave them a portion of the surveys and have been anxiously awaiting a stack and more helpful information. Every time I would question one about their progress, they would say, "Mazal, mazal.." which meant, "not yet, not yet". I just wished I would have known months ago not to patiently wait. But... that's part of work and life here. Waiting when you do not need to; not wanting to wait when you must. At any rate, now I know and can push forward with the report.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home