.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Friday, March 03, 2006

Not a tangible matter

My Peace Corps Sector Director visited yesterday afternoon. I was so nervous about him coming.. I feel like I have been busy but didn't feel like I had much tangible to show for it. I wasn't quite sure how much he would appreciate my efforts. I set up meetings with the association and artisans in case he wanted a tour of some of my new affiliates. Once he arrived I felt much more at ease... he came mainly to support me, to give me knew ideas, knew ways of approaching frustrating situations, and kept repeating that our work is not usually a tangible matter.

He called me from the Centre of Agdz to say he had arrived. I told him I was on my way... riding in a donkey cart with a load of vegetables, a new little table, two Moroccan friends and Jessica in the back ... headed back from the Souq market day. He laughed and said he would wait.

Their big beautiful SUV pulled up, I hopped off the donkey cart and greeted him. For fifteen minutes we only spoke in Dirijia. I thought the situation seem ironically backward. The Moroccan (Peace Corps staff) show up in a fancy new SUV, accompanied by his chauffeur, and I hope out of a donkey cart and address him in Arabic. We loaded my vegetables in the back of the SUV and I climbed in the back seat ... wow, it felt so luxurious. I wasn't even squished between four other Moroccans!

He inspected my apartment and we sat drinking banana milkshakes (my new favorite vice) and gazing out the window at Kisane while he asked questions and I gave him an overview of the past three months activities and concerns for three hours. When he left I felt encouraged that my efforts had not been a waste. I also found new perspectives and vision for my different work pursuits.

We didn't have time to visit artisans or associations, but after three hours of conversation I was slightly exhausted and glad to have a slow evening.

1 Comments:

Blogger cory said...

I was SO nervous for Tariq coming. i feel better now, thanks.

good work!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home