.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The History of Penny.. or I feel Spoiled

So... I may be impatiently waiting to move into my new apartment (I'm praying today, if I can track down my landlord at the Thursday Souq to get the key and find the apartment ready to go...) .. but I've had happy things to distract me in the mean time.

I went to the post office the other day (I don't go but once a week so as to avoid staring at an empty mailbox and getting my hopes up too much).. and lo and behold, there were .. not one, but THREE boxes waiting for me. I tried to tell myself they must be from Peace Corps so as not to get my hopes up, but no, all three were lovely gift boxes from wonderful friends and family back home.

It was like Christmas.. finding wonderful treasures in each, like dark chocolate, candles, and Burt's Bees stuff... three things I can't get enough of. There were other thoughtful little things like measuring cups (they use the metric system here which is no good for my cooking), oven temperature gauge, socks, a sweater, but there was one thing that most 24 year olds would not receive in a package, an age when one is expected to be responsible and grown up, traveling the world, but this is someone who I can hardly stand to be without, and upon being reunited was delighted beyond words... it was my dear Penny. She has slept by my side for most of my life.

Penny is a stuffed Kuwala Bear.

I got her on my 7th birthday and have cuddled with her ever since.. except for a few notable exceptions:

Summer, 2000: Disappearance upon leaving spring semester of college; reappeared on my dorm bed in the fall semester, with a note from the kidnapper (initials EL, you know who you are).

Jan - March, 2001: 10 Week Stint in Guatemala, she simply didn't fit in my suitcase.

Oct - Jan 31, 2006: Peace Corps Stage and homestay. She was safely delivered to me this week. I hope we will never have to part ways again. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Meliss said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Meliss said...

Rach, I'm so happy you have Penny back! It brings a smile to my face - mostly because I'm remember the times I would be like "Ohhhh, cute little penny." and then I would turn on her and punch her =) and then you would get all sad about it =). Yeah, I'm laughing right now..I do miss Penny....and you too.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

How funny! To my defense, I did not kidnap Penny. She was left at my sister's apt. and we had no clue who's it was. Thanks for the funny reminder.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home