.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Ramadan

Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam. During the month of Ramadan (October) according to the sighting of the new moon, all Muslims are required to fast for thirty days. Before you fall out of your chair, please consider that this is not a normal fast. The fast begins each day at sun-up and ends at sun-down (roughly 6AM to 6PM). It includes fasting from all food, water and sex. The sex rule is killing me ;-) The evening call to prayer signifies the end of the day’s fast and a feast is spread, Lftor (literally meaning breakfast) in celebration. Dates are offered as a first, sweet, break from cottonmouth and all kinds of breads and soups are spread. Everyone gorges themselves. A couple hours later, usually around 11PM, another more substantial meal is laid out, including Tagine or Couscous in sumptuous portions, more sweet breads and a variety of other dishes. Most of us have been watching movies in between meals, and then heading off to bed sometime after the later meal. For those who are actually fasting (which doesn’t include me), a drummer marches around the street around 3AM to wake the devout for another quick meal before a long day begins. Then back to bed and many people sleep for large portions of the day. We have been told to assume that not much progress will be made with our small business development projects during Ramadan, nor will we be able find people, as they will be napping or preparing meals much of the day.

I have chosen not to partake in this fast for a number of reasons. Number one, it is a Muslim religious activity. Many volunteers say Moroccans are cheered upon learning an American is fasting and encourage them to attend prayers at the Mosque. They (sometimes) take it as a signal that the American is interested in Islam. Others simply appreciate the cultural gesture, and still others are offended at the irreverence of a non-Muslim partaking in a religious activity. I have come to the simple resolution that for me, I’m a Christian, not a Muslim. I don’t partake in Ramadan. Secondly, fasting requires abstaining from even water. I don’t think this is particularly healthy. My family has a history of low-blood sugar problems, hypoglycemia, etc., so I don’t think the imbalance of complete starvation during the day, followed by numerous white, sweet, sugary breads at night is a healthy alternative for me. Thirdly, I am in the middle of an intensive training program that will only continue until Nov. 23. My language and technical skills are crucial to carrying out my responsibilities once in site, and I want to be at my best possible condition. Please understand, this is certainly no condemnation of anyone partaking the fast. Indeed I have the utmost respect for my friends who are trying to become part of the culture, and maintain enough stamina to keep learning in stretching language courses and long days. They have more courage than I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home