.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Debriefing


Now back Azrou, I forced myself to sleep a lot and have devoted numerous hours to language study and flash cards, determined to be a bit more capable when I return to Amina and Omar’s home in a few weeks.

The first thing I did when we pulled up to the Auberge hotel/hostel was to find a western-style toilet. A bit of comfort that I had missed. The many stressful situations and differences, long hours and strange surroundings had worn on me significantly and I was starting to feel a twinge of homesickness. Being back with friends, reading emails from home, resting and lounging about helped to restore my spirits. Today I feel much refreshed, happy with the cool breezes playing at my cheeks and the mountains in the distance.

There is yet another new challenge to face me tomorrow: Ramadan, the month of fasting and feasting for Muslims begins tomorrow morning. I’ve prayed and thought much about whether I should fast or not. I’m quite determined not to fast, as to separate myself from something I consider a Islamic religious activity. Many of my friends are fasting when at homestays, and I will be careful not to offend by eating in front of Moroccans, but thankfully we will be here in Azrou, at our isolated hotel for the next 13 days and will have meals served to us. More about that later.

4 Comments:

Blogger cory said...

Rachel,

i'm really impressed with your seriousness and dedication. it is VERY good to have you here.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, It's great to check in and hear how you're doing, what you're thinking, facing and learning about the culture. While it sounds like many challenges and adjustments, I'm glad to hear that you're finding moments to restore and quiet your heart. Love you much, Laura

6:16 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Rachel,
Thank you for keeping us posted on your adventures. I'm so glad our hotel in CO had internet :)
I love visiting your blog.
I sent you an email at your hotmail account. Let me know if you got it.
Love you,
Ang

Rachel's friend Cory,
I visited your blog too, and I love your "Feminist" link.
What an amazing organization!
Thanks for directing me to it.
-Rachel's friend Ang

10:59 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

oops, I just posted using Ryan's account.
It's really me...ang.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home