.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sitting Places

So... having some issues with my association. I know, what's new? A couple weeks ago they told me that we just needed to draft a contract stating we would be collaborating. I agreed heartily...whatever it took to get moving on something. I left with the understanding that they would text/call me when it was ready. They also said they would set up a meeting with all the ladies in the village the next week. I've been sick and traveled some in the mean time. Waited for a call. No call.

I got an email from my program director yesterday. No contracts are to be signed with specific associations, just with regional delegates. If I need to, I should set up a meeting with the association and the delegate in Ourzazate. Okay. Back to ground zero, again.

I saw one member of my association in the post office today. He asked where I disappeared to (the custom question anytime I see anyone). I asked why they didn't call me and if they had written the contract yet. He said I should just come whenever and No, they hadn't drafted the document yet. Right. I explained it was not possible now.

They want me to come all the time in the evenings when they are there, 7:00-9:00PM. But they just sit there ... and sometimes talk ... in Shilha. What am I supposed to do? I really do not feel it is worth my while to go and sit with them for and hour or two every evening ... while they speak in Shilha, a language I do not speak. They have already told me all they will be working on is a festival ... in August. Nothing now. Unless I can come up with a way to provide finances for the women to buy wool so they can make carpets. I strategizing. In my own apartment.

Maybe I just don't have the patience yet to do what most volunteers are doing ... sitting places. At least some of them have artisans they sit with, but unless there is real production going on, sitting on a dirt floor, drinking mint tea all day and making jokes doesn't feel worth while either...

So. Today, I'm teaching myself how to develop websites. And I've been practicing violin a lot. And studying French. And Arabic. And Shilha. And taking walks. And cooking. And cleaning. And cleaning up after Samson... who is now a girl ... so maybe her name will be Delilah :)

Bother. I shouldn't complain. Just not sure if I should accept the guilt trips, or accept the responsibility of sitting. For hours. Listening to conversations in a language I started learning last week.

3 Comments:

Blogger cory said...

well, i'll tell you that pretending to understand Shilha and responding to questions with gibberish doesn't work well and should be avoided... again, good for you for not rushing into things.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel
We haven't spoken in years but you've been in my thoughts and I wished to send you my best. I hope all is well and I'm very much looking forward to the day when we sit next to one another at an anti-globalization round table destroying the anti-human corporate structure. Or whatever. Maybe we'll work for British Petroleum instead. I imagine your life is wicked busy but I'd love to hear from you if you get a chance. kent.robert@gmail.com
Rob

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wouldn't say he's a girl... maybe just an it.. but i'm not sure what the word for it is in Shilha... Hope to see you soon... if Fil and I make it to Portugual we're taking a ferry.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home