.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Friday, July 22, 2005

Morocco!!

I just learned some very exiting news. As most of you know, I've been on a quest for my next career move and applied to Peace Corps back in January. This morning I was invited to an assignment in Morocco! I am so very excited!
The program will be small business development, working with artisians in semi-rural Moroccan villages. I will become part of the local community, work at the grassroots level with artists, developing marketing plans, website development, feasibility studies, micro-credit financing, empowering womens' small business enterprises, training and improving their business skills, etc. It is very open-ended and will allow me to use my knowledge, resources and creativity to help them. As a bonus, my sister, Dawn, is currently working to develop a retail business selling artwork from developing countries. We are very excited about the possibility of teaming on this project, me being the liason implanted in an artisian community.
I leave September 10th for Morocco to begin a 3-month training program, and begin my Arabic language training (which is also a key language for getting into the US State Dept). I will stay with a local family during training and then in December begin the program, and find my own apartment in the local village to call home for the next two years.
I want to thank each and everyone of you for the many ways you have been supportive in counseling, giving advice, praying, listening, etc. That has meant so much to me. I also want to thank my Lord, Jesus Christ, who has guided me toward this exciting step. Just in the past few weeks playground sales have been pouring in and I am very close to paying off all my debt (required before I leave). He has orchestrated all of this in such a wonderful way.

MORE THOUGHTS: I am also excited about the opportunity to witness to fellow Peace Corps volunteers during training (who, stereotypically are very liberal) and to the Muslims or Berbers I will be living with. In a way, this is a wonderful opportunity to be a missionary without the official label. I think of it as finding very productive, effective ways to help a poor people economically and have a chance to develop relationships that I can live a life of testimony through to them. Please be in prayer for me. I doubt I will have a local Christian church to go to, nor many (if any) Christian contacts, so I will definitely need the support and enouragement.

Geographically the area is extremely exciting to me: a ferry ride away from Europe (Spain), living in a country that has ties to Africa, Muslims, Europeans, the Middle East, and language-wise there are French and Spanish speakers, both of which I can speak to some degree, and Arabic and Berber which are very key languages for an international relations career. There are mountains and deserts and oceans and all sorts of exciting places to explore. The climate seems as though it should be very similar to San Diego, which I just recently visited and loved!

So, all-in-all God knew much better than me where to place me. I cannot be more happy.. indeed I think I'm getting a headache from the strain of all the excitement.

Whoopee!!

Links:
1. Peace Corps info about the program: http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.wherepc.northafr.morocco - scroll down to the Small Business Development section

2. Local News: http://www.moroccotimes.com/

3. What I might be expected to wear: http://www.triotours.com/faq/ma/clothes.htm

4. Story of a Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco: http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/050115/Life_morocco.asp

5. Photos of Morocco: http://flickr.com/groups/moroccan/pool/

That's it for now folks!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

That is AWESOME!! Congratulations on such an exciting time. I pray that you will be safe, and that you will have access to a computer to keep "My Blonde World" going! ;)

We are very excited for you and can't wait to hear all the stories!!

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home